Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Cookies, Construction & Camaraderie

Monday night, just a few days before Christmas, a few of us gathered to escape the calamity of the holidays to laugh, eat great food, and build gingerbread houses (technically, graham cracker houses). We enjoyed soup and bread for a light dinner, had a cookie exchange (and had to test-taste), and built houses out of graham-crackers and random candies (which were also test-tasted).

Having a task at hand is a really fun way to get the conversation flowing. Silent moments are okay because concentration may be needed (no silence that night though :).

I hope to make this a tradition. It was a great time to just be with girls...adults...to laugh, learn more about each other, and build our friendships.

I'm not by any means a creative person, but I'm good at stealing ideas - read about this in a magazine. There's also plenty of info on these kinds of parties online. Also, having an architect for a husband who built these houses in his enrichment program in elementary school was handy. (Oh, and thanks to Samantha for teaching us that sugar melts (just don't stir it) & is a great "glue" for the walls.)


Those cute, red and white bags (picture above on counter near bar stool) contained some AMAZING cream cheese sugar cookies. David and Tim ate almost my whole supply later that night...I did manage to hide a few for me to enjoy later. :)




L-R: Abby, Samantha, Blanca, Melissa, Eileen, Anita

1 comment:

Abby Green said...

YES! Must make tradition!! :)